As an informed pet parent, you know what to look for when choosing your pet food. However, you have both a conscious brain system and a subconscious brain system. Which one do you actually use to choose your pet food?
How Your Conscious Brain Chooses Your Pet Food
Your conscious brain has learned to consider these factors:
Your dog's age – puppy, adult or senior
- Your dog's health concerns – allergies, medical issues
- Buzz words such as Natural or Grain-free
- Ingredients – good or harmful
- Nutritional adequacy established by AAFCO
- Past recalls of the brand you are considering
How Your Subconscious Brain Chooses Your Pet Food
Your subconscious brain does not rely on you thinking about all of the information that your vet or
manufacturers tell you but rather generates impressions and emotional feelings.
Consider how you feel about these factors:
- How familiar are you with a brand? Is it a brand you have always fed?
- The popularity of the food due to a celebrity endorsement
- The dog show commercial where a pet parents tells you that she loves her pet so much that she only feeds that brand of food
- The feeling that you have knowing you are providing your pet with superior nutrition
- Having the chance to have your pet's picture on the packaging or featured in the brand's social media.
- Clever or amusing tag lines used by the brand to catch your attention.
Analysis or Emotion
Your veterinarian or dog food advisor will tell you all kinds of information that will help you choose your pet food by analyzing the ingredients. Your conscious mind will help you choose your pet food.
However, now that the labels on pet foods seem to read the same and are thus boring, Manufacturers are learning how to influence your choice of pet food by appealing to your emotions with testimonials and brand stories.
Come back for more Miracle Living With Gusto!
P.S. Join in the conversation by leaving a comment below…Do you choose your pet food consciously based on facts or subconsciously based on emotion?